I don’t miss bread at all since going paleo; grown rather fond of my good ol’ eggs ‘n bacon for breakfast and salad or leftovers from yesterdays diner for lunch.
But what if it’s weekend, you might have some friends over for brunch, and you want to serve them something else than scrambled eggs and bacon?
Make this paleo version of this Dutch golden oldie: Wentelteefjes – aka French Toast.
Originally wentelteefjes were born out of the need to use up some old bread, but nevertheless considered a treat.
- 8 slices of ‘bread’ (see above)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Coconut Sap Sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ghee
- optional: fruit of choice on the side
- Mix eggs, cinnamon, and coconut sap sugar and vanilla extract in a deep plate.
- Place bread slices into batter and allow bread to soak (of bread is not stale, slightly toast it beforehand)
- Melt ghee in pan and cook bread like you would for french toast
- When done, plate, add fruit, sprinkle extra cinnamon and coconut sugar on top