For a month now I’ve been on a very strict diet including a lot (and I mean A LOT) of green veggies. Besides this I’ve been working my ass of in the gym. Goal? Improving body composition. I’ll post the results once I’m done Although I have to eat a lot of green veggies, I’m not a big fan of them. However, these oven-roasted green veggies are one of the few preparations that I actually enjoy. Because you might have picky kids at home that have trouble eating their greens as well, I thought I’ll share this recipe for you to try. Star of this dish: Broccoli.
Broccoli has twice the vitamin C of an orange, almost as much calcium as whole milk (with a better rate of absorption), and contains anti-cancer and anti-viral properties with its selenium content.
Increasing broccoli in your diet may help to:
- slow down and even prevent osteoarthritis (see here)
- fight and even prevent many different cancers (see here).
- improve your blood pressure and kidney function.
- reduce oxidative stress and slow down the decline in your immune system that happens with age.
- reverse some of the damage from diabetes (see here).
And in addition, Broccoli supports your body’s detoxification, is anti-inflammatory, can fight allergies and inflammation, contains significant amounts of fiber to facilitate better digestion, supports eye health, benefits your skin, is rich in beneficial nutrients like potassium, calcium, protein and vitamin C, may reduce blood sugar levels, and supports heart health (see here).
Oven-Roasted Green Veggies
Great thing about oven-roasting your veggies? It’s quick and you don’t have to watch it the whole time, just pop it in the oven and prepare the rest of your meali Best of all the variation possibilities are endless. I use different spices and herbs every time I make a tray like this, so this never get’s bored. You could use paprika, curry powder, chili flakes, garlic, rosemary, lemon, etc etc. Just whatever you prefer! Roasting gives a slightly caramelized sweeter taste to most of the veggies, and I guess that’s why I like it so much I’ve also tried this with eggplant, and that’s also amazing.
- 1 head of broccoli, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 200 gr haricots vers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- herbs and spices of choice
- Celtic sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Place veggies on oven tray or dish, sprinkle with olive oil and season.
- Toss to coat evenly
- Place in the oven and roast just until the broccoli is tender, 8 to 10 more minutes