A while ago you’ve read my Review of the Paleo Chocolate Lovers Cookbook in which I tested several amazing paleo chocolate recipes. Go check it out, buy this awesome book, and then head back to this recipe
Paleo Chocolate Pie with Nut Crust
Kelly Brozyna‘s original recipe (Paleo Chocolate Pie with Graham Cracker Crust) uses walnuts in the crust. Unfortunately, I tend to get sick after eating walnuts… So I made my own version. Let me tell you, it turned out way better than expected!
This little gem is easy ánd fast to make (no baking involved and just a handful of ingredients). Since the pie has to set overnight in the fridge it’s a perfect make ahead dish for diner parties. I’m pretty sure everyone will be baffled when you whip out this baby from the fridge! It has a rich chocolate flavor which goes perfectly with the crunchy bite from the crust.
The Spunky Coconut
I’ve said it before: The Spunky Coconut is one of my favorite paleo blogs! You should really check out the abundance of dairy-free, sugar-free and grain-free recipes for delicious treats and diners. Besides that, I just wish I could take such amazing food photographs. Absolutely inspiring.
Hope you like my take on this chocolate packed paleo pie!
- ⅓ cup (35 gr) macadamias
- ⅓ cup (35 gr) almonds
- ⅓ cup (35 gr) hazelnuts
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup coconut cream (cream at the top of a can of separated full-fat coconut milk -leave open in fridge overnight to separate)
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted
- 3 ounces (90 gr) dark chocolate, melted
- ¼ cup (60 ml) coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a food processor, finely chop the nuts for the crust, together with the dates, cinnamon and salt.
- Transfer the crust mixture to a glass pie dish (diameter about 20 cm), and press it across the bottom and halfway up the sides.
- Rinse the food processor.
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut cream just slightly.
- Add the heated coconut cream, dates, chocolate, coconut oil, and vanilla extract to the food processor, and pulse for 1 minute or until the filling is dark and completely smooth.
- Pour the filling over the crust, and chill to set.
- When you’re ready te serve the pie, top it with whipped coconut cream
- Store the pie in the refrigerator.